21.1.09

Mini-tour of Maharashtra: Part II

Joost and I said our sad goodbyes at Pune’s main train station. He headed to Mumbai to catch his flight while I hopped on an overnight train to head to Nagpur, the center of India, in eastern Maharashtra.

What’s in Nagpur?

Well, not much really, but AIF decided to hold its midpoint conference at a place called Anandwan. After a handful of us arrived from our various destinations, we excitedly jumped into a taxi and giddily shared our unique experiences during our 2 ½ hour drive.

On our first morning together, we took a tour of Anandwan, and I must say that I’m at a loss for words. I really don’t know what to call it or how to describe it. But it’s a beautiful place physically and in its mission and spirit.

Baba Amte started Anandwan over 50 years ago as a haven for people with leprosy and disabilities. These people have been among the most feared and marginalized in India for generations. Learning about Baba Amte’s story, and the story of Anandwan, is amazing and inspiring. Another fellow (Clara) sent us his obituary in The Economist. You should check it out.

Today Anandwan is a community for anyone disabilities or leprosy who want to live there. From the beginning the community was built by the people it aimed to serve. Regardless of people’s physical limitations, there is some kind of work available. Almost entirely self-sustaining (except for sugar, salt, and kerosene), people’s jobs vary from farming to construction to making handicrafts to cooking. Everyone contributes, and everyone lives off of the fruits of everyone else’s labor.

For me, midpoint was a bizarre experience. While I really enjoyed meeting up with all of the fellows and learning about their experiences, I also found midpoint upsetting. What was so strange about this feeling was that as soon as I hopped into my rickshaw to leave midpoint I felt a tremendous sense of relief. Maybe it was a bit of reverse culture shock—you know, finding it hard to re-adjust to being around people from the US. I’ve never experienced that before!

Midpoint also forced me to really think about the challenges that I’m facing in Mhaswad and at Mann Deshi. Being busy with work and life in Mhaswad grants me the freedom to ignore such challenges; focusing on them so much throughout midpoint made me feel really negative towards Mann Deshi, Mhaswad, and the people that I’m constantly around. Returning to Mhaswad and to work allowed me to unburden myself.

And then, of course, there was the post-fellowship talk. What the heck am I going to do after my fellowship? For some reason I find this question more daunting than ‘what are you doing after college?’ I have the high hope of staying in India (possibly continuing my fellowship), or at least not returning to the US, but my practical side tells me:

1. I need to make a solid dent in loan repayment
2. I’m not going to find a job in India that pays me enough to repay my loans
3. I’m not going to find anyone to fund my adventures
4. I need to start critically thinking about my career. Although I enjoy work and I’m gaining valuable skills, I’m not doing what I want to be doing and I need to start thinking along those lines.

Scary!

So, if anyone knows of any openings outside of the US (in India) related to human rights, gender, sexuality, health, and/or migration that will pay me good money, I’m all ears. Or if anyone knows anyone/foundation/group with a lot of money who wants to fund me/a project I could be working on, you know how to contact me :)


Haha.

I’m kidding… (sort of).

2 comments:

caro said...

Dear Suzanne, thank you for changing the font color on your blog. it is much appreciated. also, thanks for your honesty - i know what you mean about feeling this weird reverse culture shock. we were hanging out with a lot of americans for the inauguration and i felt so weird and unable to construct sentences and relate. oh india...

Rick Desai said...

your attitude, experiences and perspective are inspiring.