15.11.09

Is Star Wars a Walking Contradiction, Even in a Galaxy Far Far Away?


I’ve been sick with a nasty sinus infection the past few days, and have therefore had the opportunity to catch up on my Star Wars. By catch up, I mean watch them for the zillionth time. I watched them in order of release: IV, V, VI, I, II, III, and while watching The Empire Strikes Back (my favorite) it suddenly dawned on me.

Anakin’s transformation into Darth Vader starts when he can’t forego his love of Padme. He’s terrified of losing her. According to Yoda, this kind of love is a path to the dark side. When Darth Vader throws the emperor down the huge shaft in Return of the Jedi, is he doing it because his son is being killed or because it’s the right thing to do? To me, all evidence points to the fact that he’s trying to save his son because of the same kind of familial love that got him into trouble in the first place.

Now, obviously Star Wars’ good-evil binary doesn’t reflect the real world where everything is in colors and shades of gray; it just reflects the political situation of the time when it was made.

Okay, I’ll stop babbling. I just thought I’d offer you my loopy ponderings.

Thoughts (Nads)?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May the force be with you!