10.11.08

Kerala

I just returned from a rejuvenating trip to beautiful Kerala! Kerala is a state on the southwestern coast of India. It is well known for its beautiful hill stations, serene backwaters, fragrant spice gardens, and numerous tea plantations. It was colonized by the Portuguese, Dutch, and British, and therefore has one of the largest Christian populations in India. Interestingly, Kerala has the first freely elected communist government in the world (1957), and consequently has the highest literacy rate and best health statistics in India.
Upon arriving in Kerala, we (Chetna, her sister, Vijay, and the boys) all packed into a car with our driver and set off on the potholed road to the hill station Munnar. I never knew tea could be so beautiful! Up and down mountains and along roads, rivers, and waterfalls were lush evergreen tea plants. I’m constantly amazed that so many different kinds of tea can come from just one plant.
For my first full day in Munnar I desperately wanted to go trekking. The family went on a tour of Munnar so I hired a (much needed) guide (named Joy George) and set out for a glorious 15 km. hike. The mountains certainly weren’t the highest I’ve hiked, but the trek was outstanding.
We started winding our way through deliciously fragrant herb and spice fields, and stopped at a small house where a generous and kind elderly couple showed me how they process cardamom. A ways up the (nonexistent) trail I was engrossed in my conversation with the guide when he abruptly stopped me…
I look down and, shocked, immediately blurt out, “HOLY JESUS!!!” (in front of Joy, the devout Catholic).
On the side of the trail, about a foot away from my feet, was a lovely cobra basking in the hot morning sun. After getting over the initial shock, I was giddily happy. I LOVE snakes. For the past fifteen years I’ve been dying to see a deadly poisonous snake in the wild, so for me this was a highlight of all of my wilderness experiences and my stay in India.We slowly backed away from the snake, took photos, and watched it for a good 15-20 minutes. It was angry enough to constantly make a low humming (almost machine-like) noise but not angry enough to rise up and extend its hood. I’m not going to lie; I contemplated pulling an “Uncle Bo” (reference for the Rizzo family) just to see its hood, immediately decided that was a stupid idea (duh!), and instead wished that Uncle Bo was there to be stupid for me :-)
Eventually we had to move on since there were three more mountains to climb. And when I say climb, I’m not joking… instead of hiking up and around the mountains, or on switchbacks, we literally hiked straight up trail-less mountains, which made for a tiring yet exhilarating experience. At one point the ground was so wet and the greenery so thick that we had to run up the mountain to avoid leeches latching onto us. I escaped unharmed, but unfortunately cannot say the same for Joy.
Other highlights of the day included hiking into Tamil Nadu, walking through beautiful tea plantations, talking to the workers, and getting a full tour of a real working tea factory! Although I forgot my hiking boots in Mhaswad (creating a somewhat painful experience), the trek was absolutely stunning... exactly what the doctor ordered.
The following day we piled back into the car to go to the backwaters. It was Election Day in the US, and for the first time in as long as I can remember, I wanted to be around Americans for the sake of our shared national identity and supposedly common interest in the elections. When we stopped at a small stand on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, however, I got a nice slap back into reality.
When the stall owner learned that I was from the US, he got very excited as he knew the elections were taking place. Through the little English he knew (a few dozen words maximum) and with tears in his eyes, he conveyed to me his disdain for George Bush and how much he had been praying for Obama to win. He reminded me just how much everyday people around the world care about and depend on the political situation in America when America so easily forgets about them. This conversation made watching an already emotional election even more intense; I was happy that the following morning, in the backwaters of Kerala, I could celebrate not only for my own sake but also for his.
Chetna and her family were also excited about the election results. We celebrated at our hotel in Kumarokam, and then on our houseboat in the beautiful backwaters. Our trip ended two days after the elections with some sightseeing in Kochi. I got to experience some of the city’s religious diversity… beautiful churches (Christianity in Kerala is really interesting, and it was nice for me to talk to Joy about his practices in Munnar), a unique synagogue (for the three Jewish families left in Kochi), and a very strict Hindu temple.
The entire trip was a much needed getaway, providing me with the opportunity to get to know my family better, learn about a different area in India, and refresh my body and mind. Plus I saw a cobra!!!

6 comments:

The one who has loved and lost said...

HI Suzanne,
I'm from Kerala..
Glad you liked the trip to Kerala..

Hope you were lucky enough to enjoy the natural beauty of the luscious backwaters in a houseboat...
Wayanad is also one destination which would appease your appetite for trekking... :)
Visit again when you have time.

Lady Lust said...

cobras, leeches, mccain+palin oh my!!! hahah lots of exciting stuff in your part of the world, huh Suz?! i can't wait to see those pictures in the future! especially the cobra! :)

Sarah Richardson said...

Suz! I'm so glad you liked Kerala. Your descriptions reminded me of when I was there. I thought I was all cool because we visited a snake farm there, but you saw one in person :)

And we were totally at Wayanad! (referenced above)

diddly said...

This is a test.

diddly said...

new test

diddly said...

Okie-dokie little miss Suzanne: I'm going to try this again. I've already attempted to post a couple of long comments on here; but they never show up: Is your UB-spam filter 'on'? I hope not, or you'll miss out again. So, if I recall; you had mentioned that for a fleeting moment you wished that Uncle Bo was there to be ADVENTUROUS for you: I think that was the way you worded it (or SHOULD have). Well; I certainly wish I was there too! We, (I) would have had that little puppy all lathered up in no time, and I'm sure we would have seen his hood, and quite possibly his tonsils as well. Wouldn't that be cool...Posting a closeup of a cobra's tonsils on your blog? I bet nobody else would have a blog like that. Oh well; opportunity missed, I guess. Perhaps you'll have another some day. You certainly picked a neat place to be trekking about though, to come across such a marvelous creature. Those tea fields sound really neat too: What a great experience! I'm glad you're enjoying your time there, while serving in such an important role. It's hard to imagine how different people's lives are there, compared to our spoiled and 'cushy' lives here. (After all; we don't have cobras here, just plain ol' rattlers). I hope things continue going well for you; I might even write again...IF...this one goes through! Take care Suzie; and don't do anything your Uncle Bo wouldn't do! :)