31.10.08

Something Happy

I love Diwali!

I’ve had such an amazing time this past week celebrating the holiday.

The streets were more chaotic than usual, women sported beautiful new salwar kameezes and saris, various sand colors were smeared all over the roads, little lamps adorned houses, and fireworks went off at random during the day and throughout the night.

It was fun, it was festive, and it was really really happy.

Aside from dragging myself out of bed before sunrise (sleep has taken on a newfound importance in my life), I enjoyed all of the celebrations…

Breakfasting on homemade Gujarati snacks and sweets
Visiting friends and eating their super unhealthy snacks and sweets
Receiving (lengthy) prayers on the street from people I do not know
Setting off fireworks and firecrackers late at night
Being invited into people’s homes to do all of the above with their families
Figuring out how to wear my new sari (and avoiding people taking photos of me)
Blessing Mann Deshi Bank

Wednesday marked the New Year for the bank. Oddly, it was my privilege to bless the bank among an audience and fellow “blessers”. Blessing the bank involved spreading various colored powders, flowers, and sugar on the vault, safe, and the bank’s founding photograph, and then cracking a coconut on the ground. This was followed by eating the coconut and enjoying sweets with my coworkers.

Unfortunately my first Diwali has ended, but tomorrow I’m off to Kerala with Chetna and her family for a few days of trekking, consuming delicious food, and lazing about the backwaters!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Suzanne
It must be an "emotional roller coaster" all these different experiences. And I am very proud off you doing such a great job there. Take good care off yourself

Marjan Huls