11.3.09

My Parents Came to Visit!

So now to report the fun and exciting news… my parents came to India and we had a delightful time! I joined them on the third day of their journey after they had explored some of the things that I had already seen in and around Delhi.

Stop Number One
On our first day we drove to Corbett National Park. While the drive was slow and arduous, Corbett was well worth the hassle. The park was stunningly beautiful and peaceful, a much needed respite from the rest of India’s hustle and bustle. We spent just under two days there searching for a tiger with the accompaniment of our knowledgeable and friendly guide. Although we weren’t lucky enough to see any tigers, we did see a range of other wildlife: deer, boars, crocodiles, and numerous beautiful birds.

Since my dad wanted the train experience, we boarded an “express train” back to Delhi. While it was shorter than the drive up, there wasn’t anything express about it. Being used to crammed spaces and the different interpersonal courtesies in India, I enjoyed the train ride. I think my parents were a bit surprised when they realized they’d have to put their football skills to use while disembarking the train.

Stop Number Two
We spent the following day exploring Old Delhi, which included the Red Fort, Jama Masjid (the largest mosque in India), and Chandni Chowk (a busy shopping street). I think my parents and I agree that Jama Masjid was the highlight although I had a jolly old time dealing with the various vendors on Chandni Chowk. We also had the best jalebis ever on Chandni Chowk (spiral deep fried dough soaked in sugary goodness).

After Old Delhi we made our way to Connaught Place so that my mom could buy a salwar suit at FabIndia. We followed our little shopping adventure with some South Indian food which my parents weren’t terribly fond of but which I love!

Stop Number Three
The following morning we boarded a delayed flight to Amritsar where we saw a border closing ceremony and the Golden Temple. The border closing ceremony was a bizarre event in which exactly the same thing happens on both the Indian and Pakistani sides, but where each side tries to outdo the other. It’s purely for show and involves screaming, silly walking, and nationalistic chants among the crowds on each side of the border. It was equally interesting and ridiculous, and given that there’s not much else to do in Amritsar, well worth the time.

The following morning we went to the Golden Temple, the holiest place for Sikhs. It was breathtaking! We watched the sun rise over the temple while listening to the chanting and prayers coming from inside. Architecturally it was beautiful with very intricate carving and molding decorating the walls and ceilings. The Golden Temple has almost 800 kilos of gold painted on the outside and inside of the temple. Stunning!

Stop Number Four
And then we returned back to Mhaswad which, after a day of delayed flights and a bumpy car ride, was a bit of a relief for all of us. Mhaswad is pretty calm, peaceful, and clean compared to larger Indian cities. Mann Deshi had already arranged for some stuff for my parents to do- see the bank’s operations, meet some clients, and see the community radio station. I took them to my friend Archana’s house and shop (she is also a bank client), showed them around the farm, and introduced them to the puppies (the highlight of the trip for my dad- HA).

The following day we took a walk behind the house (to the middle of nowhere) and then they packed their things for the trip home. We said our goodbyes and off they went on yet another long and arduous car ride to the international airport in Mumbai.

It was really nice to have my parents here after not seeing them for so long. It was also interesting to talk to them and to get their thoughts on what we saw and experienced together. Although I can’t speak for them, the impression that I got is that they had a great time and enjoyed all of the sights that they saw, but that dealing with everything in between (the driving, the hassling, the haggling, the noise, the pollution, the poverty, etc.) was very taxing and exhausting.

Anyone else want to visit??!

2 comments:

Lady Lust said...

i wish!! (that i could visit, i mean...)

your trip with your parents sounded AMAZING suz. i can't wait for pictures! it also sounded like some much needed R&R for you too!

i'm so glad you all had a nice time! when you described the train ride and Amritsar i thought of two different movies: "the darjeeling limited" and "bride and prejudice" haha. i am so lame.

anyway, i think i am going to dream of golden temples and tigers tonight...

miss you! xo

Anonymous said...

Dear Suzanne
After just being back from a winterholliday with a lot of snow, I am planning my summerholliday.
I would love to visit you there, but I am afraid that India is not quite the country for me for aholliday. I admire youre strength and youre fighting for women rights. I am glad that you had a nice time with youre parents.
huggs and kisses and excuses for the bad english.
Marjan Huls