29.3.09

Visiting Archana's Family

Archana is a bank client and my closest local friend in Mhaswad. I teach her English at her home daily and visit her shop at least a few times a week. She’s an unbelievable human being and for reasons I won’t disclose here, she is also one of the bravest people I’ve ever met. Her sister and brother-in-law have been trying to get me to visit their house since December. Earlier this week, Archana and I agreed to make the trip!

We boarded a government bus early in the morning for the five hour journey to Ichalkarenji. We were greeted by her brother-in-law, a wealthy factory owner, and his daughter and nephew. Our visit began in true Indian fashion. When we arrived at their home we were greeted by more family: Archana’s sister, Archana’s sister’s sister-in-law, Archana’s sister’s mother- and father-in-law, and a bunch of kids. The greetings were followed by a massively delicious lunch with all sorts of special dishes.


After lunch we set out to the nearest big city, Kholapur, to visit a 2000 year old Hindu temple—quite impressive. We followed this with some delicious sugarcane juice, a trip to the park, and a short boat ride on a lake. Afterwards, we journeyed to the family flour factory (I find factories fascinating) and, of course, to McDonalds (one of the family’s favorite eating establishments). At McDonalds I was again forced to eat more food than my stomach could hold, and was then told that I what I was eating was a snack, not dinner. Once we returned home I had to refuse to eat any dinner. They had already fed me so much that I was feeling sick, and although I know it was rude, I simply couldn’t eat anymore.

The following morning I woke up, and after going through every single family photo album, we watched Archana’s sister’s marriage video. For me the video was interesting in that it emphasized how different Archana’s life is from her sister’s. Most people would consider her sister far more fortunate. For breakfast we went to the other family house which was ridiculously nice. Again, I was stuffed silly with food and had to (rudely, although I tried to be as polite as possible) refuse third, fourth, and fifth helpings. What I find so funny is that even though they kept telling me not to eat oily food because my skin is so broken out, they kept forcing me to eat super oily food! But I digress…

We again visited a local temple, not as impressive this time, but nice and quiet and surrounded by some greenery. Archana’s sister’s family then decided that since it was my first time visiting their home, and only Archana’s second visit, that they needed to buy us gifts. So we went to pick out saris and they picked out purses for us. Seriously, when you’re a guest in someone’s home, you’re treated like a queen and you just kind of have to go with the flow and accept it.

Our last stop of the day was at home for a quick lunch and dozens of family + me photos on the lawn. After refusing their numerous pleas for us to stay at least one more day, we boarded the bus back to Mhaswad. They have already called me several times to tell me that they miss me and to invite me to their home again. The whole visit really makes me smile; it was really nice to see Archana so happy.

2 comments:

Lady Lust said...

The picture are gorgeous Suz!!! Yay for new saris! I'm so jealous! ;) Thanks for posting!

Lady Lust said...

I meant "pictures". Not picture. Sorry!