17.3.10

Weather: how it affects you

This is my most recent monthly blog post for Deshpande Foundation. To read what others have to say, visit the globl exhange blog

I LOVE hot weather. LOVE IT!

And I would say that after living in an Indian village for a summer season that occasionally reached 49C (a whopping 120F) that I can deal with it pretty well. Dharwad is currently 25-30F shy of that, and I know that it won’t reach the temperatures of last summer (it’s a bit cooler here).

I’m easing my way into the heat- avoiding turning the fan on when possible and keeping it on low when necessary, making sure my skin is constantly protected (otherwise I’d be a walking lobster), and slowly increasing my coconut water intake (I jumped from 1 to 2 to my current 3 per day—I think my maximum will be 4). I think I’ve already made some significant improvements- I’m not dripping sweat like last year and I don’t have heat rash that the doctor mistook for mosquito bites. I’m adapting to the Indian climate!

After a hot day, there’s nothing like spending time outside on a cool night (the nights are simply splendid) or walking to the bus stop on a cool morning (the mornings are also simply splendid). Genny and I have plans for hanging a hammock and getting a few chairs outside, and sipping some cool coconut water while reading or chatting the night away on our blissful patio. To me, that sounds pretty idyllic.

No comments: