24.12.08

Christmas in India?

I really can’t believe it.

Where are all of the Christmas carols? The lights? The fragrant pine trees? The snow? The cookies? The decorations? The crazed consumerism? The peaceful feeling? The cold dry air? The stockings hung over the chimney? My family?

When I was driving to Mumbai last weekend to pick up Joost (my boyfriend) from the airport, it suddenly dawned on me that Christmas is coming! What sparked this realization?

1. The Santa hats being sold in the streets of Pune. For those of you who have never been to India, “in the streets” literally means that people walk through traffic and knock on your window to sell you stuff. Much to my horror, I looked over and saw someone wearing a terrifying plastic Santa mask (much more appropriate for Halloween) with his face plastered against my window. He scared the crap out of me!

2. The two Christmas stores I saw near the airport in Mumbai! Two! I was shocked. Although I didn’t get to go in, I saw the usual Christmas lights, garland, and fake Christmas trees made out of green garland.

3. The crucified Jesus sold as a decoration at one of the Christmas stores. Although more accurate than the crucified Santa that one of my friends saw in Japan, I thought to myself, “not quite the right holiday.” Still, I do appreciate the effort, perhaps because I’m not Christian and don’t expect people here to know the difference between Christmas and Easter.

Sadly, there are no signs of Christmas in Mhaswad. Muslims, Hindus, and Jains celebrate each other’s holidays (that’s not to say that there isn’t tension too), and I’d like to add a little Christmas to the festive mix this year. Unfortunately, however, I’m a little late in my intentions and will have to plan a bit better for next time :) Until then...



MERRY CHRISTMAS!


xoxo
Suzanne

3 comments:

Clare said...

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for the email. The spirit of Christmas is in your heart and not in the material hooplah. You are experiencing the true spirit. Be safe and have a wonderful Christmas.
Love, Auntie Bellieboo

Lady Lust said...

Have a happy holiday with Joost and your new family and friends, Suz! Due to crazy, reverse global warming weather here in the States, I may not make it home to Seattle (at least probably not on time!)which has been hit by severe (and completely unusual) snowstorms!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Suzanne!