18.12.08

Goodbye

For the past month we've had three volunteers from Deutsche Bank at Mann Deshi. Today is their last day at work so earlier this afternoon we had a little farewell gathering complete with speeches, small gifts, and some snacks. It was strange for me to not be the person leaving, but to be sending them off. Even the way we were standing around the room emphasized this- Deutsche Bank volunteers on one side and me standing with Mann Deshi on the other. The whole experience made me realize how connected I feel to Mhaswad, Mann Deshi, and Mann Deshi's staff (my friends).

During everyone's speeches I couldn't help but think of my own departure from Mhaswad (as far away as it may be). The thought of leaving made me very sad. Mhaswad has become a very special place to me. I feel content, comfortable, and relaxed without at all feeling restless or bored. Work may at times be frustrating, but it keeps me on my toes; home life may be difficult for me to understand, but it can be equally reassuring; I may not be able to speak the language, but I can communicate.

I'm so far away from home, and in a place that is so different from everything I'm used to. Yet somehow I've managed to create a fulfilling, challenging, and comfortable life here. And because of that, I feel happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey mush mouth stop writing in yellow...

Vikas.. said...

hey it really feels great to hear tht ....that u hav become accustomed to this completly new place!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Suzanne

When you read this I hope that Joost is arrived and you can enjoy spending time together.
please make sure that he comes back with a lot off pictures.
Have a good time and a lot off fun

Marjan Huls